Public Events Recycling Bins - Click HERE for information for borrowing recycling bins for your public events. They can be used as fund raising tools or to reduce your events disposal costs.
RECYCLING HOTLINE – (315) 379-9084 (Line is staffed Monday - Friday 8:00am to 3:30pm)
North County Recycles - This site provides you with the latest recycling information for the tri-county area as well as the most recent TV commercials. Educational videos are also available at this site. You are encouraged to utilize it as an additional recycling resource.
Glass, Metal & Plastic Containers, Cartons and Cardboard & Paper
- Click HERE to get a process overview.
- Click HERE to get the latest Recycling Instructions Flyer - Packaging Instructions and Non-Recyclable Items. Flyers are available on-line or by calling the Recycling Hotline.
- We accept residential scrap metal items and appliances with refrigerants - FREE OF CHARGE - both large and small.
- Acceptable Items Include:
- Large Appliances or White Goods
- Small Appliances
- Metal Patio Furniture
- Metal Doors & Window Frames
- Automotive Parts (oil must be drained)
- Metal Ladders, Ironing Boards, Tools, etc...
- The County transfer stations accept car and truck tires < 44" in diameter at a predetermined rate per ton.
- Minimum charge is $15.00.
- For tires larger than 44" or for off-road tires (tractor, loader, etc.) contact the transfer station first to see if they are accepting these type of tires.
- We suggest that the tires are removed from the rims, but will accept them on the rims.
Electronic Waste - E-Waste
- Covered Electronic Equipment (CEE) will be accepted - FREE OF CHARGE - at the County's transfer stations.
- To be eligible for free drop-off you MUST be:
- A residential owner of the equipment, or
- A business of less than 50 employees, or
- A not-for-profit of less than 75 employees.
- Dismantlers are not eligible for this service.
- For an overview of the New York State Electronic Equipment Recycling & Reuse Act, Click HERE.
- We will not accept materials that have been scavenged or that are disassembled.
- CEE Materials include:
- Televisions (as well as cathode ray tubes)
- Small Scale Servers
- Computer Peripherals*
- Electronic Keyboards
- Electronic Mice or Similar Pointing Devices
- Facsimile Machines**
- Document Scanners**
- Small Electronic Equipment*
- Digital Video Recorders
- Portable Digital Music Players
- DVD Players
- Digital Converter Boxes
- Cable / Satellite Receivers
- Electronic or Video Game Consoles
* Computer peripherals and small electronic equipment also include any cables, cords, or wiring permanently affixed to or incorporated into such products.
** Only those intended for use with a computer and weighing less than 100 lbs.
Cell Phone Recycling
- You are now able to recycle your cell phone and accessories for FREE! Items can be dropped off at any of the County's Transfer Stations or at easy to use receptacles located at the Canton DMV office or County Clerk's Office. Click Here for a flyer.
- Any business or organization that is interested in having a receptacle at their address or would like more information on the program should contact the Solid Waste Department.
- Questions? Please contact the Solid Waste Department @ (315) 379-9084.
START RECYCLING TODAY!
Rechargeable Batteries Recycling
The "New York State Rechargeable Battery Law" was signed into effect December 10, 2010. The law requires manufacturers and retailers to accept rechargeable batteries at no charge to the consumer.
Effective December 5, 2011 rechargeable batteries are banned for disposal. It is against the law to place rechargeable batteries in your trash. Please Click HERE for an informational flyer.
We will be working closely with Call 2 Recycle to provide additional collection sites in the County. Click HERE to go to Call 2 Recycles webpage.
Drop off locations are:
- Ogdensburg Transfer Station
- Massena Transfer Station
- Gouverneur Transfer Station
- Star Lake Transfer Station
- Zip Code Drop-Off Point Locator
Drycell Batteries Recycling
Now available at the County's four transfer stations on a year-around basis.
- Rechargeable batteries MUST be kept separated from non-rechargeable batteries. Please Click HERE if you have any questions on packaging of Rechargeable Batteries.
- In addition to the four County transfer stations, the Clifton Fine Lions Club is sponsoring the collection and recycling of drycell batteries at NO Cost to the public.
- They will be accepting:
- AA, AAA, C, D and 9 Volt
- Button Batteries (hearing aids, watches, etc.)
- Cell Phone Batteries (terminals must be taped for these types of batteries)
- Drop off locations are:
- Fine Town Office Building
- Cranberry Lake Municipal Building
- Batteries will be processed by a universal waste handler. All heavy metals and toxic substances are reused, recycled or rendered harmless.
Learn more about recycling at the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation website.
If you or your organization is interested in enhancing your recycling process or starting a recycling club please contact the Solid Waste Department @ (315) 379-9084.