St. Lawrence County Clerk
Melissa Friedel, Deputy
Office Hours: 9:00 - 5:00
DMV Hours -
NYS Governor’s Traffic Safety Committee’s Website
We now accept credit cards at the County Clerk's Office
Permits & Licenses
Every honorably discharged member of the United States Armed Forces and their spouses are eligible to apply for a Veteran's Peddler License. This license provides veterans with the right to hawk, peddle, vend, and sell goods, wares, merchandise or solicit trade upon the streets and highways within the county of his or her residence. The usual fees associated with a vending license is waived for qualifying Veteran's and their spouses.
The following are requirements that must be met to obtain your Peddler's Permit:
1) Must be honorably discharged from a military service and present a DD214 honorable discharge form to prove it.
2) Be a veteran of any war or conflict or have served in the armed forces overseas.
3) Be able to provide valid identification, such as a driver’s license or non-driver ID
4) Prove residency in St. Lawrence County for at least 6 months, either with your driver’s license utility bill, or mortgage payment receipt, etc.
5) Provide 2 passport photos. Photos can be taken at the County Clerk's Office.
6) Know what he/she plans to sell and the name of the company he/she is working on the behalf of, if applicable
In addition to obtaining a Veteran's Peddler's License from the County Clerk, you will also be required to comply with village or town ordinances related to street peddling. Information can be obtained directly from the individual towns and villages in which the business will be conducted.
For more information on Transient Merchant Licenses contact the clerk in the village where you would like to set up your business.