How do I return my Absentee Ballot?
- Mail it back WELL PRIOR to Election Day, or by November 3 (ask for a manual postmark at the Post Office during the last week or two)
- Personally deliver it to our office, on the 2nd floor of 80 State Highway 310 in Canton, on weekdays between 8am and 4pm
- Personally deliver it to our office during our Early Voting schedule (Oct 24 - Nov 1), on the 2nd floor at 80 State Highway 310 in Canton
- Personally deliver to your local pollsite on Election Day, November 3rd, between 6am and 9pm (see this document)
A voter may qualify to vote by absentee ballot if their duties, occupation, business or vacation requires them to be absent from their county of residence on election day or if they will be confined by illness, physical disability or for some other reason either on a temporary or permanent basis.
Absentee ballot applications may be obtained by:
- Writing the Board of Elections (80 State Highway 310, Canton, NY 13617)
- Printing the appropriate form from below, and submitting that completed application to the BOE office
- Calling 315-379-2202
- E-mailing your request or print one of the forms that corresponds with your needs
Qualifications to Vote by Absentee Ballot:
- Absent from St. Lawrence County on election day, or
- Unable to appear at the polls due to illness or disability, or
- Unable to appear at the polls due to duties related to primary care of one or more individuals who are ill or physically disabled
- A patient in a Veterans’ Administration Hospital, or
- Detained in jail awaiting Grand Jury action or confined in prison after conviction for an offense other than a felony.
Regular Absentee Ballot Application (Note - concern related to COVID is covered under the reason "Temporary Illness or Disability")
NYS Electronic Absentee Ballot Application Portal (Note - concern related to COVID is covered under the reason "Temporary Illness or Disability")
Qualifications to receive a Permanently Disabled Absentee Ballot:
- Permanent Illness
- Physical Disability
- These voters will be put on a permanent list and receive a ballot for each election in which they are eligibile to vote.
Qualifications to Vote by Military Absentee Ballot
- Actively in the Military, eligible spouse, or dependent
- Activated National Guard member on State orders
- Additional information can be found by visiting the Federal Voting Assistance Program website
Qualifications to Vote by Special Federal Ballot:
- For United States citizens living abroad whose last U.S. address was in St. Lawrence County
- Applicants may only vote for Federal Offices, unless their application indicates an intent to return
- For United States citizens who have never lived in the U.S.
- To learn the present status of one of these applications or ballots, please click: https://nysballot.elections.ny.gov/DownloadBallot/SearchVoter
- To see how the downloaded envelope set works for mailing your ballot back in origami fashion, see: https://www.youtube.com/
- For use by Military voters, wherever they are posted
- For use by Special Federal voters living outside the United States
- If you do not receive your military or federal absentee ballot in enough time to meet New York State's deadlines, use this ballot as a backup. If you send in this ballot and then receive your official ballot later, you should fill out and send in that official ballot as well. Your election office will count only one ballot.
- New York State requires you to register and request an absentee ballot by completing a Federal Post Card Application form before filling out and submitting this backup form. This FPCA form is available above as well as by visiting the Federal Voting Assistance Program website
- If you already registered and requested an absentee ballot, send in the Voter Information page and the Official Backup Ballot.
- Not for use by Regular Absentee Voters or Permanent Absentee Voters
This form may be used by someone who is visually impaired or otherwise disabled, should such a disability prevent a person from being able to independently cast a paper absentee ballot: