Absentee Voting

A voter may qualify to vote by absentee ballot if their duties, occupation, business or vacation requires them to be absent from their county of residence on election day or if they will be confined by illness, physical disability or for some other reason either on a temporary or permanent basis.

Qualifications to Vote by Absentee Ballot
  • Absent from St. Lawrence County on election day, or
  • Unable to appear at the polls due to illness or disability, or
  • Unable to appear at the polls due to duties related to primary care of one or more individuals who are ill or physically disabled
  • A patient in a Veterans’ Administration Hospital, or
  • Detained in jail awaiting Grand Jury action or confined in prison after conviction for an offense other than a felony.

Regular Absentee Ballot Application

Qualifications to receive a Permanently Disabled Absentee Ballot
  • Permanent Illness
  • Physical Disability
  • These voters will be put on a permanent list and receive a ballot for each election in which they are eligibile to vote.

Qualifications to Vote by Military or Federal Absentee Ballot

Qualifications to Vote by Special Federal Ballot
  •   U.S. citizens living abroad whose last U.S. address was in St. Lawrence County.
  • They may only vote for Federal Offices.
Absentee ballot applications can be obtained by:
  • Writing the Board of Elections (80 State Highway 310, Canton, NY  13617)
  • Printing form above, and submitting completed application to BOE office
  • Calling 315 379-2202
  • E-mailing your request or print one of the forms that corresponds with your needs



| |
The Official Web Site for St. Lawrence County Government
County Courthouse, 48 Court Street • Canton, New York 13617 - 1169
Contact Us